+no_x11 as default

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 07:37:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

>> use -x11 +quartz instead, or you're likely to continue to get X11 anyway.
>
> just to check: +quartz is meant to indicate I installed XQuartz myself and that macports will not try to install any X related packages?  I damn well want to avoid macports switching to XQuartz based bloat.

No. It means don't use X11 at all, but use the native OSX graphics. e.g.

Chris-Jones-Macbook-Pro ~ > port variants gimp
gimp has the variants:
   animation: Include the Gimp Animation Package (gimp-gap).
   manual: Include help files.
   quartz: Support for native Mac OS X graphics

If an application needs to link against X11, its MacPorts policy to always install its own X11 libraries, and not use the system ones. See

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs

for the reasons why.

cheers Chris