XQuartz

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Dec 4 15:32:33 PST 2012

> I've read some very encouraging things about the latest version (2.7.4) of
> XQuartz which is offered as a binary from their web site.
>
> I'm just wondering if installing it will clobber anything installed by
> MacPorts (I'm not concerned about any Apple update clobbering it as I'm
> still on Snow Leopard & my Macbook Pro is behind a NAT router with no
> ports forwarded so I don't bother applying the few security updates they
> release
> for SL nowadays anyway).

If it's an installer package, you'll find Bom files. It's a set structure, so you should be able to track down just what all is installed.

xar works like tar, so you can list with -t or extract with -x into a temporary directory.
lsbom on each Bom file will show you what's going to be installed on each of them.

> I've no specific X Windows stuff installed by MacPorts

You're probably fine then, but check the file list with xar/lsbom.