py27_wxpython

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 10 18:35:16 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 19:28, Ulrich Wienands wrote:

> Verbatim copy of /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf:
> ---------------------------------
> # CPU architecture to compile for. Defaults to i386 or ppc on Mac OS X 10.5
> # and earlier, depending on the CPU type detected at runtime. On Mac OS X 10.6
> # the default is x86_64 if the CPU supports it, i386 otherwise.
> #build_arch                     powerpc
>
> # CPU architectures to use for Universal Binaries (+universal variant)
> universal_archs         i386 ppc
> -----------------------------------
> So seems all good, and I have installed many a port w/o problem on this machine.

That looks ok...

> One should not forget that wxWidgets comes in as a dependency.. could
> it be that +universal is spec'd for that? If so, where would that be?

Not sure what you mean by "spec'd for that". MacPorts builds a port universal if you request it. Also, if you request a port to build universal, and any of its dependencies are not built universal, MacPorts rebuilds those dependencies universal. Also, if you request a port to build, and it needs a different architecture than the architecture for which any of its dependencies are installed, MacPorts rebuilds those dependencies universal, on the assumption that the needed architecture is in the list of universal architectures. This latter case generally occurs on Snow Leopard and up, where the default is x86_64, but some ports only build i386; this isn't expected to happen on Leopard or earlier with the default arch selections.

> Maybe I need to try installing wxWidgets by itself... I don't remember
> now whether I did although it seems like an obvious thing to try.

Certainly "sudo port clean wxWidgets" and "sudo port install wxWidgets" would be a good thing to try.

I am trying to build py27-wxpython on my Tiger PPC Mac and although it's not finished yet it has at least started building wxWidgets, which is more than happened in your case.

Could you show the output of "port -v installed"?