macports broken under Mountain Lion and Xcode 4.4?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 23:03:43 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Artemio Gonzalez Lopez wrote:
> > Yesterday I installed Mountain Lion and Xcode 4.4
>
> I don't have any pre-release software, so I don't have any direct
> knowledge of this release, but generally Apple prohibits people from
> discussing pre-release software (so if I did have access, I couldn't talk
> to you about it).
>
> You may want to consult your software license agreement to make sure you
> are not violating it by discussing this stuff.
>
> > There is obviously some problem in properly detecting the path to the C
> compiler, since clang it's not in
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ but in /usr/bin. Could
> anybody suggest a fix to this?
>

> I imagine it's similar to what is going on with Xcode 4.3 on Lion. Maybe
> when that gets figured out, it will magically start working. Or perhaps one
> of the macports developers has access to pre-release software and will
> check in some fixes and it will start working (but won't be discussed until
> an actual release happens). This has happened in the past with other
> pre-releases ...
>
> good luck

The problem going forward from 2012 onward is that Apple has stated (if I
am not mistaken) that OS X  (Its no longer called "Mac OS X" btw), will
have substantive updates annually to more or less be in sync with the
parallel substantive updates for iOS. This will make it difficult on open
source communities with limited resources to keep pace with Apple's likely
internal developer monstrosity. Clearly this annual OS release cycle is
Apple's way of trying to sustain habitual upgrades of hardware every few
years because it will be easy for Apple to merely say "oh, sorry, Mountain
Lion won't run on your 2009 Mac Mini or 2007 Mac Pro tower" etc. Too bad
Apple has to do this to otherwise perfectly good hardware (didn't Steve
Jobs and company ever see the Pixar movie WALL-E?).

-Tabitha