x264transcode failing in mkvtoonix

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 11 19:39:53 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 21:00, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> I've been trying to install x264transcode on my MacBook Pro (early 2011, core i7) under Mac OS X 10.6.8 with XCode 3.2.6.  It failed while installing the dependency mkvtoolnix complaining that some bits of boost weren't declared.

Sorry, the version of mkvtoolnix currently in MacPorts is not compatible with the version of boost currently in MacPorts:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32558

It is common for new versions of boost to break software, and for that software to then need to be updated. Unfortunately, newer versions of mkvtoolnix require newer versions of gcc than Apple has provided (or ever will provide) in Xcode. So I am unsure what we are going to do about that.

As a workaround, you can back-date boost to a prior version:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32558#comment:21

But this may break any other software you're using that uses boost.