Ruby 1.9

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 00:24:28 PDT 2012

I checked gem:

$ which gem
/usr/bin/gem

Seems to be Apple's installed gem. I wanted to add an alias to
.bash_profile for it and did so. All of the sudden all my command line
commands such as mate and port would no longer work. I had to deactivate
.bash_profile, .bash_login and .bash_history. After .bash_history
regenerated itself again I reinstated .bash_profile and was able to use
mate and port and so on again. So I was able to add the alias for gem. But
then all of the sudden the mate command no longer works so I have to
deactivate .bash_profile again... Odd again.