Ruby 1.9

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 10:40:15 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>wrote:

> Seems to be Apple's installed gem. I wanted to add an alias to
> .bash_profile for it and did so. All of the sudden all my command line
> commands such as mate and port would no longer work. I had to deactivate
> .bash_profile,

At a guess, you had ~/.profile instead of ~/.bash_profile; if you're going
to use the latter then you need to check and possibly copy the stuff from
~/.profile into it.

(~/.profile is the shell-agnostic session shell configuration.  Shells
often also have their own specific configurations, which override the
shell-agnostic one if it exists.  If you're me and use a multi-shell
environment, you put the common stuff in .profile and "." it from the
shell-specific ones if necessary, or use conditionals; normal people
probably just want to pick a shell and stick with it, and use its config.