deleted the software folder - PEBKAC

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 27 15:38:18 PDT 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 16:51, plik wrote:

> Today I installed Macports for the subsequent installation of ARB. Everything went really fine until I tryed to start ARB. But actually, this is another problem.

Once you solve the below, this is what you should tell us more about. What's not working?

> Herewith, I would like to ask for help for the probably stupid things I did to solve the "ARB won't work" problem.
>
> I thought "maybe it is a good idea to re-install arb with Macports". Here is what I did:
>
> ###########
> luis:~ plik$ sudo port install arb
> --->  Computing dependencies for arb
> --->  Cleaning arb
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 98.7%
> Warning: Error parsing file /opt/local/share/arb/lib/ARB.bundle: Error opening or reading file
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  No broken files found.

As you see that doesn't actually reinstall arb; it just tells you it's already installed. If you actually want to reinstall arb you need to:

sudo port -n upgrade --force arb

However I don't see any reason to do that at this time, until we hear more about what the actual problem is that started you down this path.

> I thought "maybe it is a good idea to rm -rf the arb folder in /opt/local/share/". I did so.

Not a good idea. :) To get it back, deactivate and re-activate arb:

sudo port -f deactivate arb
sudo port activate arb