Python Imaging Library PIL and Imaging.h

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 2 02:13:42 PDT 2012

On Nov 1, 2012, at 07:48, Panayotis Katsaloulis wrote:

> I am trying to compile skencil from sources, which is written in Python and requires the PIL.
>
> Although I have installed python 2.4 (as default) and the package "py24-pil",  I found that inside the packages there is no such file as Imaging.h
>
> Any idea where should I find it?
>
> I believe I could indeed download the PIL sources and get it from there (as well as any other similar required files form this package), but this doesn't look like a clean solution for me.
>
> What do you think?

I agree the py-pil ports don't install Imaging.h or any other headers. I confirm these headers are contained in the source distribution. We're not doing anything special in the Portfile; we're just running "setup.py install" like we do for any other python module. So the question is: why doesn't pil install headers? Maybe they're intended to be private headers, and skencil should not be trying to use them. You'd have to ask the developers of pil and skencil about that. We could possibly adjust the py-pil port to manually install those headers, but if they're intended to be private, maybe we shouldn't be doing that.