Kerberos again

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 2 02:16:02 PDT 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 16:59, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> I have again run into the conflict between kerberos and e2sprogs.  This time I am just trying to upgrade wireshark, and it fails because it depends on kerberos5, but I have ext2fuse installed (which depends on e2fsprogs).
> I believe that it is this issue:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/26869
>
> At the moment I have wireshark and ext2fuse installed, and they seem to work.  Is there any way to upgrade wireshark?
> For example will it work to deactivate ext2fuse.  Do the upgrade of wireshark, then for ext2fuse to activate again?  Or will that cause conflicting libraries to be present?

As you've said, e2fsprogs is the port that conflicts with kerberos5, not ext2fuse. So yes, you could (forcibly) deactivate e2fsprogs, then upgrade wireshark (which will activate kerberos5).

If you wish, you can then later deactivate kerberos5 and re-activate e2fsprogs, in order to make ext2fuse work again. However, doing so will remove the kerberos5 libraries, which will make wireshark fail to work.