SSH Locale Error

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 04:12:41 PDT 2012

I keep on getting errors with Perl on my Dreamhost VPS Server (Debian
Linux) Sample:

!309
~/bin/psmanager.pl check
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_COLLATE = "C",
    LC_CTYPE = "UTF-8",
    LANG = (unset)
Check PsManager setup

Tried a lot of stuff to fix locale. Tried generating a new one, adding
stuff to .bashrc and so on. See latest posts here:
https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-118806-post-157325.html#pid157325.Nothing
really worked on the remote server to make the error go away.
Perhaps because locally on Mountain Lion I have:

locale
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

But I have no idea really as this is all new to me...

In the end this was recommended:
"Stop forwarding locale from the client. Do not forward the locale
environment variable from your local machine to the server. You can comment
out the SendEnv LANG LC_* line in the local /etc/ssh/ssh_config file."
based on thread
http://askubuntu.com/questions/144235/locale-variables-have-no-effect-in-remote-shell-perl-warning-setting-locale-f(Dreamhost
is Debian..

This does seem to work. But this seems more like a work around. Anyone any
tips?