anything in MacPorts to repair JPEG images?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Sep 25 10:50:29 PDT 2012

At 12:22 PM -0500 9/25/12, Jim Graham wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39:14PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>
>>  If i'm not mistaken, ImageMagick can repair photos and other image
>>  formats. It's very powerful. There are lots of tools with it and also
>>  people have written a number of scripts that are available online that
>>  do all sorts of things with images. It's commandline-based, you'll need
>>  to read a lot on thier site to get used to it but it's worth it, not
>>  just for your current problem but for future use as well.
>
>I forgot this, but it seems I'd already installed ImageMagick, so I ran
>"identify -verbose dscn1950.jpg" per a forum answer on repairing jpegs,
>and after a LONG list of routine data, got the following at the end:
>
>    Version: ImageMagick 6.7.9-0 2012-08-20 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
>    identify: Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment `dscn1950.jpg'
>    @ warning/jpeg.c/JPEGWarningHandler/346.
>    identify: Invalid JPEG file structure: two SOI markers `dscn1950.jpg' @
>    warning/jpeg.c/JPEGErrorHandler/313.
>
>At this point, does anyone have any suggestions?  Or is this ImageMagick
>telling me that it's basically a loss?  (Again, not a major loss, but
>I'd still like to recover them IF possible.)

How big is that file compared to a known-good file? Ie, if a 'normal'
picture is 3.2 MB (pulling a number out of the air) and that file is
0.1 MB, then I'd say the file is truncated (duh) and you need to go
the route of trying to salvage data off the original card or the
first copy you made of the card.

If the file is a reasonable size, maybe try GraphicConverter on it.
Maybe ImageMagick has more tools; I don't know it at all.

Craig