Media server recommendation

Ludwig macports at metaspasm.org
Fri Jun 28 21:21:30 PDT 2013

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> At 5:23 PM -0400 6/28/13, Dan Aldrich wrote:
> >Been trying to set up a uPnP/DLNA server on my old iMac-G5. Previously
> >been sharing the media files with SMB. Ushare didn't work out, kept
> >getting bus errors, so assumed that it was too big for the machine.
> >Building MediatTomb right now and trying that.
> >
> >Any recommendations for something like this? miniupmp, mediatomb,
> >something I haven't thought of yet?
>
> MythTV?  Myth includes video library management* and a UPNP server although
> I don't personally use these features.  When you configure Myth you tell it
> a list of directories that include videos and have it scan through them to
> create/update the listing and retrieve metadata.  More info on the Myth
> wiki:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP

"External Video Players (mplayer, xine, VLC) will not work with videos hosted
on an [MythTV Storage Groups.]"

I'm looking for something that can simply host a video library with some
cross-platform/cross-client metadata tags, so people could browse "samurai movies"
or "black & white movies" or "music videos directed by Australians" without
being tied to Myth or XBMC or iTunes clients.  Is there anything that will
provide this out of the box, or am I looking at customizing a generic CMS?