changing default perl

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Nov 5 06:46:56 PST 2013

I would say we should even go further, and get rid of all of the p5-* ports.

Instead, we should install perl5 as the latest stable perl, and include our own 'cpanm' program (like how perlbrew has it's own) which would download/build/(test)/install modules (probably into a DESTROOT to allow MacPorts to do the actual install and to take advantage of Macports being able to do unininstall). We could add a new dependency type (and associated functionality) to allow ports to still depend on perl modules, and the perl5 port could uninstall/reinstall all of the installed perl modules when upgraded (or actually, on post-activate).

Of course, that's considerably more work (and requires changes to base/ that others may or may not be willing to accept into base/).

We should at least just switch to one stable perl5, though.

--
Daniel J. Luke