Portfiles with fetch.type git ... can one add arguments to git?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 15:10:58 PDT 2014

Hi René,

On 17/08/2014, at 4:53 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2014, at 20:39, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that a head can point to one commit on one day and another commit on another day, while ${version} doesn't change.
>
> Well, that's an accurate representation of development practice ... with the version typically being "the next version towards which we're working".
> I'd never expect such "daily ports" to appear in MacPorts, but for personal stuff they might be nice as portfiles automate the whole procedure one would otherwise have to do by hand.

Has anyone mentioned "git pull" ("git fetch" + "git merge")?  Clone the
whole schmear once, then use "git pull" to pull in remote commits
whenever you wish.

You can also add MacPorts patches as commits to your local repo,
even as a local branch.  That way, "pull" automatically merges remote
changes and local patches.

> Or write a script for from scratch.

Have you considered using KDE's "kdersrc-build" scripts with the additions
I have developed (and use) for MacPorts and OS X?  With them, you can
have "bleeding edge" versions of whatever KDE software you wish and
use stable versions of Qt, etc. taken from MacPorts.  See [1].

I am currently using this approach to find and fix bugs in kdelibs4 and
kde4-runtime sources, on local repos. and hardly ever need to do more
than "edit", "make Install" and maybe the odd "kbuildsycoca4" for luck.

I do not use "git pull" very often now because those parts of KDE 4 are
changing very little ATM, while KDE development focusses on KF 5.

Cheers, Ian W.
KDE developer

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/osx-patches/repository/revisions/master/entry/KDEMacPortsTools/README_FIRST