Ntp -- getting it to work

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 01:15:17 PST 2014

So an update:

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my /etc/rc.local:
>
> launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pacemaker.plist
> /usr/libexec/pacemaker -d /var/db.local/pacemaker.drift -a 8 &
>
> My hardware clock, when pacemaker is not running, according to the system
> ntp, is over -500. And with that error rate, ntp will not sync.
>
> So ... right now, I'm trying to binary search, to find where the system
> ntpd is happy. I tried -30, and the system ntpd was not happy (never went
> above 64 poll). But using the ports version of ntpd, it syncs happily (got
> up to 256 poll). Go figure.

In fact, with a pacemaker drift of -29, my machine synched with a poll of
1024, and a calculated drift of -1.784. In comparison, the system NTPD in
the same setup calculated a drift of over -315, and stepped the clock
daily. Never getting past poll 64.

I still cannot figure out why Apple wanted to create "pacemaker" instead of
just changing what constant was added to the system time every hardware
tick. That seems to be the best "low-power" solution -- just change the
existing addition.