virtualbox on Yosemite

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 24 00:08:35 PST 2014

On Dec 24, 2014, at 2:02 AM, Kastus Shchuka wrote:

> I just upgraded from ML to Yosemite and was reinstalling my ports. I had virtualbox at 4.2.16_0+vde2+vnc on ML working fine but I am not able to install it on Yosemite. Building virtualbox on Yosemite pulls in these dependencies:
>
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: LibVNCServer jpeg libpng apple-gcc42 cctools cctools-headers llvm-3.5 libcxx llvm_select ld64 curl libidl libsdl xorg-libXext xorg-libX11 xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-libxcb python27 db48 db_select python_select sqlite3 xorg-libpthread-stubs xorg-xcb-proto xorg-xextproto xorg-libXrandr xorg-randrproto xrender xorg-renderproto pkgconfig qt4-mac dbus libmng lcms tiff vde2 autoconf m4 automake libtool
>
> and then fails on apple-gcc42:
>
> Error: apple-gcc42 is not supported on Yosemite or later.

Right, that's:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/45449

I think Larry was close to being able to fix that one, since he helped fix the same problem in several other gcc ports already, but there are additional licensing concerns with apple-gcc42 which may be hampering his progress.

> Then I remembered about the ticket https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41392 which I guess still stands for Yosemite.
>
> Do I understand it correctly that at the moment virtualbox port is not available on Yosemite?

That's right, even after apple-gcc42 becomes available, #41392 probably still prevents virtualbox from building. As it says in the ticket, we need a volunteer to update the port and maintain it.