llvm-3.5 on 10.7.5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 27 04:54:53 PST 2014

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 4:30, Alexey Luchko <soulne4ny at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the explanation, folks!
>
> As far as I can get, pre-10.9 / XCode pre-5 is not longer available
> for download.

Older versions of Xcode are still available at Apple's developer website. Links to them are in several places on our website.

> Probably port info should state a requirement of osx 10.9 or at least
> the error message itself, or provide a link the the FAQ :)

But the requirement isn't OS X 10.9; the requirement is libc++.

Linking to a URL with more information sounds like a good idea to me.

>> Error: llvm-3.5 requires a C++11 runtime, which your configuration does not allow
>
> Just the message makes me ask "what a configuration does it refer?"

It refers to the variable in macports.conf where you can override the default C++ library, with possible consequences as mentioned earlier.

> Then one needs to open a port file and look for the message and then
> ask here :)
>

> Do I understand correctly, that it is possible to build the llvm/clang
> 3.5. But it requires proper libstdc++.

It requires the modern libc++, not the old libstdc++.

> What else does the C++11
> ecosystem include?

As far as I know, it includes the library and the headers.

> And the built code will require the C++11 ecosystem.  Probably, static
> builds are a solution, aren't they?

I don't think static builds are a viable solution. You cannot have more than one C++ runtime in a single executable; it will crash.