gnome-terminal again

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 17:48:37 PST 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> The macport gnome-terminal suffers from similar active and inactive tabs
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/40332/how-to-make-selected-tab-in-terminal-more-prominent
>
> dconf has nothing that looks helpful and the suggestions in the above
> don’t do anything.

Theming on OS X tends to be weird, because Apple early on threatened legal
action against anyone trying to replicate Aqua in e.g. themes and the
backlash included disabling all theming on OS X. (Qt/KDE still refuses to
do any theming on OS X; I don't know if Gtk+/Gnome still does.)

Alternately has anyone a suggestion for a decent multi tab terminal, please
> I’m all ears.
> I spend 90% of my time in the terminal - it is important.

I use iTerm 2, which is the iTerm2 port in MacPorts or available as a
standalone dmg. (Note that there is also an iTerm port, which is an older
version which was desupported several years ago. iTerm 2 is enhanced from
the same codebase but with active maintainers after the original authors
dropped it.) In general it's much better than Apple's Terminal.

That said, I still don't run Mavericks much --- one small machine which is
a bit slow anyway, so I can't really judge speed.