gnome-terminal again

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Mar 1 22:36:47 PST 2014

On 3/1/14 5:39 PM, James Linder wrote:
> G’day All
>
> The macport gnome-terminal suffers from similar active and inactive tabs
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/40332/how-to-make-selected-tab-in-terminal-more-prominent
>
> dconf has nothing that looks helpful and the suggestions in the above don’t do anything.
> Before I wade into the src code, has anybody solved the issue?
>
> Alternately has anyone a suggestion for a decent multi tab terminal, please I’m all ears.
> I spend 90% of my time in the terminal - it is important.
>
> I mostly rejected the regular utility/term because cursor movement was sluggish, but and maybe it was rose coloured memories frm snowleopard,
> gnome-terminal (mavericks) is just as sluggish now. Has mavericks done that?
>
> Thanks
> James

GNOME apps like gnome-terminal support theming but only if building for
X11 not Quartz.  However, for this to work correctly
gnome-settings-daemon needs to be running (since theming is a desktop
wide issue rather than an application one).  This normally happens when
a GNOME session is started but if you only want to run specific
applications (more common on MacPorts) then you can start it by hand by
executing

/opt/local/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon --replace &

which will then run as long as you are logged in. Ignore the various
startup messages on the console.

In the case of gnome-terminal, this will make the difference between all
tabs looking identical and the active tab being clearly highlighted
(with a blue accent at the top using the default theme).