questions regarding selfupdate issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 13 04:21:47 PST 2014

On Nov 13, 2014, at 6:17 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Thursday November 13 2014 06:12:42 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> images_to_archives.tcl is rather old at this point -- over 3 years old. It dates from the release of MacPorts 2.0.0 (2011-07-22), since which time "archives" mode is always on. Prior to that, users could choose "images" mode or "archives" mode, with "images" mode as the default. images_to_archives.tcl converts an "images"-based MacPorts installation to an "archives"-based one.
>
> Should I understand it ought to have been run since that time? I was upgrading from MacPorts 2.3.1, not pre 2.0.0 !! If so, why would it be running now?

images_to_archives.tcl runs as part of every selfupdate, ever since MacPorts 2.0.0, in case you're upgrading from an earlier version. If the conversion has already been done, the script should do nothing. I don't know why you received an error.

>> You request a from-source build by either adding the "-s" flag on the command line every time you install or upgrade (e.g. "sudo port -s install ..." or "sudo port -s upgrade ..."), or by setting "buildfromsource always" in macports.conf.
>
> OK, so just adding the optflags should only have the effect of setting them in case a port builds from source anyway. Good, exactly what I wanted, thanks. (I'm setting "-O3 -march=core2 -g", nothing fancier than that!)

That's correct, yes. Overriding configure.optflags at the command line should work, provided the port respects that variable and that changing it does not break the port, though it is not intended to be set by users on the command line; it is intended to be set by port authors in the portfile.