FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: when rsync.macports.org is down hard...

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Nov 24 15:11:37 PST 2014

Hi,

----- On 24 Nov, 2014, at 22:17, Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org wrote:

> Seeing as MacPorts is based upon FreeBSD ports, perhaps it could copy the
> latter's trick of trying servers one by one?

That brings the problem that our mirrors are not that closely synced as we
would expect, especially for the port tree. Some mirrors are up to a day
behind the main one, and switching temporarily between those could leave
you in a situation where port versions jump back and forth. I'm not exactly
sure what would happen, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

> A minor problem with FreeBSD is that should an ISP-assigned DNS server
> report an error, said ISP helpfully redirects you elsewhere, but luckily
> FreeBSD handles this stupidity (I'm looking at you, BigPond Australia).

We have code that detects this situation and warns users, but aren't using
it to automatically ignore wrong resolve results. This has been discussed
before and there were some strong opinions against fixing this behavior
which isn't our bug and for telling users to shout at their providers for
ignoring the RFC.

--
Clemens Lang