migration question

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sat Apr 11 11:05:27 PDT 2015

On Apr 11, 2015, at 8:46 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday April 11 2015 06:27:21 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Unless you plan to meticulously analyze each port's build script, you won't know whether that build script makes
>
> It's not like it's difficult to search for os.platform and/or os.major ... and of course it would be the 1st thing to check in case of trouble (at least I hope I'd think of that :)).

Inspecting portfiles is not sufficient. You'd also have to look at each port's build system to verify that it invokes the compiler with the correct options.

> Has it ever been considered to let (oblige) such checks (to) use a procedure rather than a variable, so that "base" can register when a port/variant has OS X versions-specific behaviour?

The "correct" way of conditionalizing based is with the platform command, but it's often not flexible enough. For instance, it can't express "apply this script on Darwin 12 and earlier". Using the variable is also just cleaner in many cases.

vq