[Haskell-beginners] Error when running `cabal install cabal-install`

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:46:48 PDT 2015

Indeed, I uninstalled libiconv by running the following command.

sudo port uninstall --follow-dependents libiconv

Then, `cabal install cabal-install` runs without a problem.

Hi MacPorts Users, Is there better solution to this problem? Please
see the original question regarding the conflict of MacPorts and
Haskell. (I don't what to use haskell from MacPorts as I want to keep
updated with the latest version of Haskell.)

https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/2015-April/015214.html

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is installed from <https://www.haskell.org/platform/
>>
>> >. The OS is Mac OS X.
>

> Yes, as I suspected. The problem is that Apple ships an old version of the
> iconv library; MacPorts and Homebrew generally install a newer, incompatible
> one with symbols renamed to trigger that link error (because otherwise you
> find out about the mismatch when the first iconv call dumps core at
> runtime). You will need to arrange for ghc not to see that other iconv, only
> Apple's, since it won't work with any but Apple's. Or use a ghc from
> whichever package manager you have installed, so that it works with that
> package manager's iconv library.
>
> (This is more likely to happen with Homebrew, since most things don't look
> /opt/local but just about everything looks under /usr/local.)
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

Regards,
Peng