[KDE/Mac] KDE recent issues

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon May 25 03:03:57 PDT 2015

On Sunday May 24 2015 21:34:34 Jonathan Stickel wrote:

>I see something like this also for other KDE apps (Dolphin, Gwenview,
>others). It is related to Yosemite; I didn't see it with Mountain Lion.
>It is particularly troubling with Dolphin. Sometimes popup windows for
>things like "open with -> other" go completely blank.

Just for the record: it's a know issue that certain type of windows behave as if they never get (or process) an initial expose event. Most of the time those are message boxes that remain grey, but there is also the session list window that KDevelop opens with if you start it with the --ps option. Fortunately for that last example, applications started from a fork() instead of LaunchServices always launch behind the calling application, so all I have to do is bring the window to the front and it gets an expose event that causes it to display correctly.

>It would be great if it could be resolved. Googling reports nothing --
>not too many users of KDE on Mac.

There must be something fishy with the event loop KDE installs and that overrides the Qt event loop (assuming that's indeed the case), and the aforementioned "launch behind the calling application" thing is certainly involved somehow. My guess would be that KDE does something X11-related that evidently isn't done on OS X. This is the kind of thing that would require assistance from a core KDE developer who knows the domain intimately. But supposing such people exist (i.e. the original author hasn't left the project) they'll probably be completely desinterested by anything related to KDE4.
And with the progress we're making with KF5, they'll probably be on to KG6 once we get to unkink the KF5 cables on OS X :-/