Variant conflicts

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 06:30:24 PST 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 3:03 AM, Bachsau <web at bachsau.name> wrote:

> Would be very bad if I had to choose between Nautilus or gtk3 with quartz.

I suggest you go take a close look at the Gnome 3 community, including its
politics.

My understanding is that Gnome 3 targets Wayland; there are shims to make
X11 work, which they'd really prefer to jettison but the Linux community
"for some reason" won't let them, and exactly zero interest in other
graphics systems.

(I say this as someone who helps maintain an X11 window manager, and
constantly has to deal with new instances of "<Program> doesn't work any
more" "we decided window managers now have to do <thing>" "X11 does
<thing>" "Wayland does it this way therefore you must do it this way". I've
also watched various non-Gnome packages drop gtk3 like a hot potato as the
Gnome 3 devs break it for non-Gnome3 in various ways.)