pet project : LnxPorts

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Thu Oct 8 06:22:19 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 1:59 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Morning!
>
> OK now, don't get me wrong, this is not an announcement that I'll be
> forking off MacPorts to begin a fully supported Linux variant! :)

Also, why no use Gentoo or other existing ports-based Linux variants ?

To me anything that uses "ports" is kind-of BSD by definition (or BSD
wannabe) so why not use the real thing to begin with! Being able to install
from binary and/or from fine-tuned source compile is priceless in my book.
Which of course can be done with most Linux variants (and pretty elegantly
if done correctly) it is never as elegant as a true ports system.

Anyway, just my 0.02 here. I am no expert in software distribution systems
by any means, but IMHO OS X and BSD seem a much better coupling than OS X
and Linux. Also, PCSBD is pretty cool:
http://blog.pcbsd.org/2015/05/pc-bsd-10-1-2-an-interview-with-kris-moore/

Best,
Alejandro Imass