pet project : LnxPorts

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 07:57:09 PDT 2015

On Thursday October 08 2015 09:22:19 Alejandro Imass wrote:

> Also, why no use Gentoo or other existing ports-based Linux variants ?

I don't need to have a front-row seat for everything. In fact, I much prefer a stable OS with LTS, one that I can work done on/with, rather than one on which I have to spend my time keeping it up to date. Coolness is really the last and least of my concerns, as opposed to "doesn't get in the way" and "you forget it's there".

Building Qt5 on the netbook in question takes between 12 and 24 hours (depending on how often I have to interrupt the process in order to be able to do other things, or how often it hangs because its 8Gb RAM isn't enough). You can imagine what the overhead of running something like Gentoo would mean.

For me, MacPorts is just an additional distribution system (and more of a build system) for certain things that I would otherwise build "by hand". That's also why I've made some changes to relax the principle of building as much as possible against libraries provided by MacPorts (into the opposite principle, in fact).

R.