XFCE, Gnome

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Jan 2 17:14:00 PST 2016

> On 3 Jan 2016, at 4:00 AM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
>
> Hi,
> OS X 10.11.2, Xcode 7.2.
> ?
> Has anyone managed to install xfce ? For me, the installation fails at the package xfconf ...
> ?
> I have installed gnome. However I am unable to launch a gnome-session. What are the 'right' configuration files

I tried a while ago (umm mavericks) then researched and found that this port has not worked for a quite some time.
Methinks that there is a lot of work and philosophy involved before it can be made to run. EG X11 or aquaterm
there are not many ‘apps’ that run and make this aquaterm window look and feel like xfce.
I use virtual box and seamless mode for the stuff I want e.g. rosegarden
Running the whole system as an xfce machine (I used suse and ubuntu) shows apple make their hardware work really nicely eg of things that work flawlessly under OS X but are iffy on linux (iMac27) bluetooth. wireless, sound (apple make the crappy speakers sound good), HEAT (boy it runs hot on cpu throttling vs core sleep)
MS are nearly as evil as apple but they make nice software. I use their office suite that is much better on OSX than on crossover. My wife uses the adobe tools and they too work well.
James