Trouble with Macports Install - 2014 Mac Mini running El Capitan

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sat Jan 9 09:54:54 PST 2016

> On Jan 9, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Steve Sharpe <steve.sharpe.boise at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded 'mythtv-pkg.27-Fixes-0.27.4-20150304.mpkg' from the website and installed it without issue.  However, when I get to the first “paste” entry to begin initializing the database (paste sudo -u _mysql mysql_install_db into a Terminal window), I’m prompted for a password.  The ‘mythtv’ password doesn’t work.  Pressing enter for a blank password doesn’t work either.  I confirmed that the default config.xml file located in the .mythtv folder is unchanged (shows both username and password as ‘mythtv’).  I tried removing the Macports app folder and deleted both the .mythtv and /opt/ folders and reinstalled Macports from the downloaded .mpkg file.  No change in the password issue.  Any advice???

You need to use the OS X admin password—the same one you use for installing other software.

‘sudo’ causes the following command to be executed as the “superuser”.  For this particular command, we need superuser privileges in order to create the initial, blank database that MythTV will eventually use.

HTH,

Craig