XFCE

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Jan 9 17:00:01 PST 2016

> On 10 Jan 2016, at 4:00 AM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
>
>> What is the role of xfce4-session ? Because other components (xfwm4, panel, desktop) seem to work ...

>>> This segfault needs to be debugged by someone. Thank you for trying it out, none the less!
>
> According to the home page of the upstream project, <http://www.xfce.org/>, the Xfce Session Manager:
> "Controls the login and power management of the desktop and allows you to store multiple login sessions."
>
> See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_session_manager
>
> To fix, "someone" needs to build a debugging version of xfce4-session and run it with a debugger.
> On the captain (OS X 10.11). That will give one a stack trace and a code reference to to go on...
>
> File a bug: http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>

> "In general, application bugs should be reported to the developers of the app (?upstream?), not MacPorts."
> But I think it's safe to say that no-one* is running Xfce on Darwin/XQuartz, so this is Terra Incognita...
>
> Anyway, the bug tracker is: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/
>
> * the jury is still out on "why would anyone want to do that", even though it "should" still be possible.
> For most normal users, something like VirtualBSD would probably be a better option. Or at least packages.
>
> See http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbsd.html

Pierre to add to comments above
I’m a great fan of xfce and run that on my many linux machines.
Ideologically I hate apple, but apple make their hardware and software play together very nicely e.g. bluetooth at boot, e.g. nice sound from their crappy speakers e.g. heat from core sleep vs (hot) heat from core throttle e.g. the wireless on my mac mini is perfect under OS X but rather iffy under any linux distos that I have tried.

After playing with xfce on the mac mini for a few days the only benefits I could find were having X11 all the time (subtle reasons) and xfce4-terminal. iTerm does a pretty equivalent job.

So I have to conclude that my mac(s) do exactly what I need, that mac ports is the glue that turns this into plain sailing and the xfce port is very interesting, but for me, what’s the point. Clementine (not mac ports) even plays my oggs.
James