Error installing new MacPorts base

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Nov 21 10:59:44 CET 2016

On 2016-11-21 10:39, Barrie Stott wrote:
> -----
> Password:
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> MacPorts base version 2.3.4 installed,
> MacPorts base version 2.3.5 downloaded.
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.3.5
> Installing new MacPorts release in /opt/local as gbs:admin; permissions 0755
>
> Error: Error installing new MacPorts base: command execution failed
> Please run `port -v selfupdate' for details.
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts base: command execution failed
> -----
>
> I ran ‘sudo port -v selfupdate’ and the result is in the attachment. I have no idea how to proceed so I am asking for help and will be pleased for any suggestions regarding what to do next.

The error is:

checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base':
See `config.log' for more details

We would need to see the contents of the config.log file to tell the
exact details while the compiler execution failed:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base/config.log

A similar case was described in:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/49169

You could try to execute /usr/bin/cc directly to see what error
messages it returns. Maybe you have not accepted the Xcode license
terms.

Rainer