porting a gtk3 X11 application to gtk3 quartz ...

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 18:55:42 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-26, at 10:33 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Would anyone have a few pointers to some resources or a cheat sheet of some kind on how this transition is most efficiently done?

Ah, thanks for the off-list feedback, and I'm starting to get the idea here.

X11 is only one of the possible "backends" for gtk3, but it's a common backend, and these X11 functions are often available and often used by software authors. So there are a number of gtk3 ports that have X11-specific code in them, and therefore only can use gtk3 +x11 . A similar problem occurs trying to use these ports on other systems with other backends (wayland, etc).

Here's a list of ports that do this from Dave a few years ago <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41839#comment:10>:

 The following MacPorts GNOME ports are blocked from building with gtk3 +quartz due to this issue:

empathy
eog
eog-plugins
epiphany
evolution-data-server
gnome-online-accounts
grilo-plugins
libgdata
seahorse
totem
gcr

Fixing these requires going through the code and replacing X11 functions with other non-X11 functions. Not likely a trivial patch.

The new port I"m working on also uses some of these X11 functions, so porting it to platform-agnostic gtk3  +quartz is likely to be more of a project than I initially thought it would be.

Also, to answer a question I had a few months ago, using gtk3 +quartz means that not all ports will build, in the end.