wxPython

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Dec 10 19:35:02 UTC 2017

On 10 December 2017 at 19:42, Ulrich Wienands wrote:
> I am trying to get wxPython to work.
>
> I successfully installed Python-3.6 and (I think) wxWidgets 3.0 and (I
> think) py-wxPython-3.0. (by "I think" I am saying that MacPorts says it was
> successfull).

The only thing that makes sense is installing py27-wxpython-3.0.

wxPython 3.0.2 is not compatible with Python 3, only with Python 2.
The new compatible version is wxPhoenix / wxPython 4.x.

I tried to install it long long ago and there were some issues (I
wasn't really able to install it without spending quite a bit more
time). I didn't test it recently, but in any case we currently don't
have a functional port combining wxPython and Python 3.

> Running a trivial test program I copied form the Web (wxPython
> tutorial on zetcode.com) it bombs' I think because it never finds wx when
> running import wx. I am saying"I think" as the error message is not
> informative.
>
> I also downloaded and installed tkinter and that worked. However, I at
> lreast want to try wxWidgets as well.
>
> Anyway, amongst the myriads of differentoptions I am stuck here. I don't
> really know whether this is a MacPorts problem, please let m e know.

By far the easiest way would be to install py27-wxpython-3.0 and test
wxPython with that one. If you cannot live without Python 3, someone
needs to come up with a port for wxPython 4.0.0b2 (I'm the maintainer,
but I'm not sure if I'll manage to do it soon).

Mojca