Inkscape 0.92.0 now available on MacPorts

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:52:37 CET 2017

Examining my many ports, I find (from sudo port installed and active | grep +x11  that I have 40 ports with +x11 variant, including at least the two, cairo and pango,  that both quarts and x11 support enabled.   I seem to have no trouble with them. And only cairo, tango, and tk with +quartz variants.

So it seems I should go with the +x11 variant of inkscape.

Now among the dependencies of inkscape (shown by sudo port info inkscape) I see:

Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig, autoconf, automake, libtool, intltool, perl5.24
Library Dependencies: desktop-file-utils, popt, boehmgc, gdk-pixbuf2, gsl,
                      gtkmm, dbus-glib, lcms2, poppler, boost, ImageMagick,
                      libcdr-0.1, libexif, libvisio-0.1, libwpg-0.3, aspell,
                      gtkspell2, potrace, py27-lxml, py27-numpy

Is there some recursive port command that would reveal if any of these in turn have dependencies that use only quartz support but not x11 support, so I could do some kind of minimal rebuild with x11 and without disturbing any ports that might depend in turn on those other ports that use cairo or pango?

That is, I don’t want to recklessly destroy working ports!

> On Jan 8, 2017, at 6:00 AM,Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>

> Doing “sudo port deactivate active” would deactivate ALL my active ports, would it not? And given that I have scores active, it would be brutal to reactivate all of them,
>
> I had originally installed inkscape with +quartz, which didn’t work. Then after uninstalling that I installed inkscape +x11, which also didn’t work!
>
> I don’t understand syntax & semantics of:
>
>   sudo port -f deactivate rdepof:inkscape and active
>
> (I don’t find any mention of “rdepof” at guide.macports.org <http://guide.macports.org/> <http://guide.macports.org/ <http://guide.macports.org/>>, and I need to be sure that the “and active” there really applies only to whatever it is that would match "rdepof:inkscape”.
>
> I note the output from
>
>            sudo port installed | grep quartz
>
> is:
>
>  cairo @1.14.8_0+quartz+x11 (active)
>  pango @1.40.3_1+quartz+x11 (active)
>  tk @8.6.6_0+quartz (active)
>
> And I have a huge number of ports that depend on cairo.
>
> So still question is what to do.
>
>> On Jan 7, 2017, at 4:48 PM, David Evans <devans at macports.org <mailto:devans at macports.org>> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/7/17 10:31 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>> I have latest (2..7.11) XQuartz installed under macOS Sierra (10.12.2). I installed inkscape+quartz and insckape-app.
>>> When I either run inkscape from Terminal command line or from inkscape.app created by the latter, I see the XQiartz icon
>>> repeatedly appear and bounce in my Dock and then disappear. But I never see an Inkscape window.
>>>
>>> How to fix?
>>
>> If the XQuartz server is being activated, that indicates that your program is issuing X11 protocol requests.  Thus, it
>> appears that you have not been successful in rebuilding all the necessary dependencies with +quartz instead of +x11.
>>
>> Although I have been criticized for suggesting such a brute force approach, the most fool proof way I know of doing
>> this this transition successfully is the following:
>>
>> sudo port deactivate active
>> sudo port install inkscape +quartz
>>
>> or perhaps less clumsily
>>
>> sudo port -f deactivate rdepof:inkscape and active
>> sudo port install inkscape +quartz
>>
>> This is how I switch from one to the other for testing.
>>
>> Note that a potential problem in trying to switch from +x11 to +quartz on a port by port basis is that you may now be
>> mixing installed ports that require +x11 and others that require +quartz that may have common dependencies that can only
>> be installed one way or the other.
>>
>> Depending on what ports you often use, you may have to decide on whether you want a +quartz only installation or an +x11
>> one.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334