MacPorts related questions

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 14 12:45:42 UTC 2017

On Nov 14, 2017, at 03:39, iEFdev wrote:

>> Lion is old. If possible on your Mac, please consider upgrading to a newer version of macOS.
>
> Yes, I'll maybe go to ML. I stopped at Lion and didn't think ML brought much more to it, but it seems to be the bottom low version today. On my way to migrate my Mac Pro -> mini and the run it off-line. Perhaps I should do a clean install of ML then.

Mountain Lion is not much better, from our perspective, because Mountain Lion and earlier use libstdc++, which doesn't support C++11, which many ports are requiring. Mavericks and later use libc++ which supports C++11. If your Mac can upgrade to Mountain Lion, it can upgrade to at least El Capitan, possibly even High Sierra. I'd recommend you upgrade to the newest version you can.