sunclock

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 11 16:26:47 UTC 2018

On Dec 11, 2018, at 00:17, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> (If this was a modification of an old port, it would probably be nice
> to figure out how to convince git to connect the history with that old
> file.)

As far as I know, that is a feature we lost when we converted our Subversion repository to Git. Subversion manages the history of a filesystem, so it can track renames and connect old deleted files to resurrected new ones. Git only tracks files so it does not have those features.

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitFaq#Why_does_Git_not_.22track.22_renames.3F

>> It compiled, installed and activated and said:
>>
>>  --->  No broken files found.
>>  --->  Found 1 broken port, determining rebuild order
>>  You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.
>>  The following ports will be rebuilt: llvm-gcc42 @2336.11+universal
>
> Which OS version are you using? (Did you migrate MacPorts / the list
> of desired ports from an earlier OS version?)
>
> This error is harmless for your desire to have that other port
> working, but it could be that we forgot to revbump llvm-gcc42 when
> updating one of its dependencies, so maybe worth fixing in our
> repository. I suspect that not many users ever install that port
> except on super old systems.

As far as I can tell (based on the dependencies listed in the Portfile and based on the linkage of the archive that we have on our packages server) llvm-gcc42 does not link with any MacPorts libraries, so I don't know why it would ever be considered broken, unless it had opportunistically linked with something that was there when it was built but isn't there anymore.

But it is true that there should be no need for that old compiler anymore, and it should just be uninstalled. Other ports should have been fixed by now to be buildable with clang instead (and if not, then let's fix that). MacPorts doesn't allow installing llvm-gcc42 on macOS Sierra or later.