inetutils permissions?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 15 15:22:56 UTC 2018

On Jul 15, 2018, at 08:49, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> Would it make sense if packages that installed GNU executables where that sort of problem might arise also symlinked them into e.g. /opt/local/gnu/bin without the g prefix?

Most already do, but the directory is /opt/local/libexec/gnubin.

> That would at least allow an easy workaround for such situations, by just putting that directory in front of the PATH...provided we're not already using tools that would conflict with as part of port processing.

That is typically not an appropriate change to make in a port, since it would allow GNU versions of *all* programs (that the user had installed) to override the macOS versions, not just the one we're interested in (e.g. "install" in this case), and that commonly leads to other problems. If a port needs a GNU program as a dependency, it should specify the complete path to that executable, in whatever way that port's build system needs.