gimp2 install

Uli Wienands wienands at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 16:03:19 UTC 2018

Well, some progress: I was able to get over the hump by not updating all
dependencies (-n switch), given that I actually have older versions of
e.g. zstd and libtiff already installed. Much to my amazement gimp2
actually built. And it even runs, albeit complaining bitterly about tiff
being out of date, D-Bus not running and some other assorted odds and ends.

That said, it actually opens tiff (16 bit) files and jpegs just fine and
seems to save as well.

However, as I expected it is the Xwindows version. To get the macOS GUI
I assume I need to use the variant quartz. But, do I need to completely
hose the present install or can I just deactivate it? I'd kind-of like
to keep the Xwindows version around in case I cannot get the macOS GUI
version to work. Already it is better than what I had before.

Thanks,

Uli