Installation of Macports appears to be corrupted.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 29 05:19:02 UTC 2018

On Sep 28, 2018, at 21:10, Anand Pathak Sharma wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I cannot figure out what and how happened to cause this issue but today, out of the perceived blue, I found that my local nginx/mysql servers installed via macports have stopped working. I have a feeling this may be related to the user/group ownership of the files in question.
>
> I tried uninstalling Nginx then re-installing it and received the following error:
>
> Error: Unable to execute port: Could not open file: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/www/nginx/Portfile
>
> On a whim, I tried doing the same for another port and received the same message:
>
> Error: Unable to execute port: Could not open file: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/php/php-timezonedb/Portfile
>
> I moved into the directory, "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports" and checked the ownership of the files in it and they are set to:
>
> root:rvm
>
> When viewing the ownership of macport files in parent directories, I see that they are set to:
>
> root:admin
>
> This inconsistency makes me feel that somehow ownership has changed and caused these issues.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate some assistance with working out this matter.
>
> Many thanks!

The ownership of the files in /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org should not matter. By default they will be owned by the uid and gid that are used on our main rsync server, which happen to be uid 500 and gid 505, but those aren't necessarily meaningful uid or gid values on your system.

Check the ownership and permissions of each directory leading up to that one, though:

ls -ld /opt /opt/local /opt/local/var /opt/local/var/macports /opt/local/var/macports/sources

Are read and execute permission ("r-x") for every user present for each of those directories?