output like "port list all" over the web?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Mon Aug 5 00:32:26 UTC 2019

MacUpdater <https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/> will in a future release (probably after the very next) add excluding /Applications/MacPorts from its search for apps in need of updating, since I requested that and they're quite responsive. That should prevent people from accidentally using it to update some app bundle that was installed by (and should be updated via!) MacPorts.

They mentioned that Homebrew is a source of information (among others) to them for available updates, and apparently vice versa in some cases, apparently to the benefit of both (I'm paraphrasing, since I didn't ask for permission to quote).

That got me to wondering if there's a way to get the equivalent of "port list all", all on one page, over the web; for someone that might not want to
install MacPorts, but wanted to see what its current versions of all its packages were (and perhaps even generate feedback on availability of newer
packages), that might be useful.

I can get that on https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=all <https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=all> but that's not all on one page, and it has a lot of other stuff that makes it more difficult
to consume as machine-readable.

FWIW, I just heard about MacUpdater from a Friday MacRumors.com article <https://www.macrumors.com/2019/08/02/five-mac-apps-august-2019/>.  From a few hours use, it seems to find more and be less quirky than
the far better known MacUpdate Desktop, and it's a lower one-time price rather than a subscription.  So if there are any other easy things they might
be willing to do to better accommodate MacPorts (but probably not generating a terminal session to run "port update...", it might be interesting.  Although right now, I gather that since they didn't realize that MacPorts was still so active (because they saw very few people with /Applications/MacPorts, I guess), there aren't yet many people that use both.