Failed to build Bitkeeper

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jan 6 22:23:54 UTC 2019

On 06.01.19 22:34, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2019, at 15:56, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
>> Odd...
>>
>>     ozzie:~ dave# port upgrade -p outdated
>>     --->  Computing dependencies for bitkeeper
>>     --->  Staging bitkeeper into destroot
>>     --->  Installing bitkeeper @7.3.3_0
>>     --->  Cleaning bitkeeper
>>     --->  Computing dependencies for bitkeeper
>>     --->  Deactivating bitkeeper @7.3.2_1
>>     --->  Cleaning bitkeeper
>>     --->  Activating bitkeeper @7.3.3_0
>>     --->  Cleaning bitkeeper
>>
>> Huh?  Did the "-p" flag really make that difference?
>
> I would expect it to. That flag tells 'port' to ignore the failure in
> the 'destroot' stage of installation and proceed to archiving the
> (presumably bad) staged package and installing it from the somehow bad
> destroot directory.

No, that is not correct. The -p flag makes the port command to proceed
with the next port, but it does not override errors in a phase.

I assume the destroot.cmd worked on the second execution for whatever
reason. Maybe the dependencies within the BitKeeper build system are not
correct, causing it to assume this already succeeded previously...?

> I would NOT expect Bitkeeper to work. I would also expect 'port contents
> bitkeeper' to show less than the necessary compliment of files.

That would be a good assumption, it is most probably missing some files.

Rainer