Failed to build Bitkeeper

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 8 15:09:34 UTC 2019

On Jan 6, 2019, at 14:49, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Is this a reportable bug in the port, or an up-stream bug?  I happen to know
> the author (if he's still maintaining it) - Larry McVoy.

It is reproducible. I have filed a MacPorts bug:

https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/57874

I expect it is an upstream bug.

On Jan 6, 2019, at 14:56, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Odd...
>
>    ozzie:~ dave# port upgrade -p outdated
>    --->  Computing dependencies for bitkeeper
>    --->  Staging bitkeeper into destroot
>    --->  Installing bitkeeper @7.3.3_0
>    --->  Cleaning bitkeeper
>    --->  Computing dependencies for bitkeeper
>    --->  Deactivating bitkeeper @7.3.2_1
>    --->  Cleaning bitkeeper
>    --->  Activating bitkeeper @7.3.3_0
>    --->  Cleaning bitkeeper
>
> Huh?  Did the "-p" flag really make that difference?

No; merely repeating the original command would have "worked" too.

Note that the "-p" flag, and all other single-dash flags, have no effect unless placed between the word "port" and the command verb, e.g. "sudo port -p upgrade". (Similarly, all double-dash flags are command verb specific and have no effect unless placed after the command verb.)