OpenCL deprecation in MacOS 10.14

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Sep 1 11:35:50 UTC 2019

On my 10.14.6 2017 MacBook Pro, output of "locate -i opencl.h" includes

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/opencl.h

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/opencl.h

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/opencl.h

(the first two because I have Xcode and command line compiler tools installed)

OTOH, that system was upgraded from prior OS releases.  Another (2018 Mac Mini) that I think started out on 10.14.x (x < 6, but it's on 10.14.6 now)  does not have the file in /System/Library/Frameworks, although the rest of /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework is there. Both have Xcode 10.3 (10G8).

On either system, I can compile the demo in https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/samplecode/OpenCL_Hello_World_Example/Introduction/Intro.html <https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/samplecode/OpenCL_Hello_World_Example/Introduction/Intro.html> with Xcode, so it is finding a usable version of opencl.h somewhere. On either, it gets a bunch of deprecation warnings for functions with names beginning with "cl", not surprising.  The program runs on either, apparently successfully.

Of course, since matters may further deteriorate on Catalina (I don't know, not having signed up for the beta for it as yet), even if OpenCL is still usable and buildable (under the right conditions) on 10.14, you might want to pull the plug on support for it now, unless the performance advantage it offers is truly massive.