how use bash 5.0 port

John Chivian jchivian at chivian.com
Mon Aug 31 17:22:40 UTC 2020

I have always been too cautious to change the default shell on MacOS to
anything other than one that is officially provided, especially for the
root account, even if those shell versions are as old as the hills.
For scripts and launchd process simply put the #!/path/to/bash5 at the
top and that's what they run as.  For interactive sessions simply put
the new bash exec in the PATH and run it first thing after login,
perhaps even automatically by insertion into default shell startup
file.  If you really want to change the default you can using the chsh
command (man chsh), but I've never done so for the root or startup user.
Too much experience based paranoia I guess.

Just my 2c.

Regards