odd problem trying to use Macports ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 30 04:29:21 UTC 2020

On Dec 29, 2020, at 20:28, Richard Bonomo TDS personal wrote:

> My system runs MacOS 10.12 (Sierra).  I've used Macports for some time every now and again.
>
> However, when I tried to use it recently, this happened:
>
> ******
> $ port version
> dlopen(/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
>        /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
>    while executing
> "load /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib"
>    ("package ifneeded macports 1.0" script)
>    invoked from within
> "package require macports"
>    (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 38)
> *******

What is the architecture of that file? It sounds like it is not the right architecture for your computer.

lipo -info /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib

What is its modification date? I'll bet it's old.

ls -l /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib

The whole /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl directory went away in 2014, and that change was released in MacPorts 2.3.0:

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commits/06b6c3951c62d62d12ff9dc0cf0454cf02d7a690

The installer deletes this directory when upgrading. Maybe somehow you have restored this old directory from an old backup or you have run a third-party installer that replaced your MacPorts with a much older version that still had this directory.

Downloading the current MacPorts installer for Sierra from our web site and running it should hopefully set things right again. This will not affect your installed ports.