Dovecot port changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 22 16:48:19 UTC 2020

On Feb 22, 2020, at 07:43, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2020, at 14:31, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> On 22.02.20 12:41, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>> port dovecot is now installing dovecot 2
>>> port dovecot2 is now installing dovecot 1
>>
>> No, there is no Dovecot 1.x i the ports tree any more.
>>
>> dovecot2 is a port that has been marked as replaced_by dovecot. As the
>> epoch was increased, it will be considered more recent than the old 2.x
>> version, although it reads 1.x. I agree this might be a bit confusing,
>> but it should work as intended.
>>
>> This is the usual way port removal or renames are handled and eventually
>> the dovecot port will be removed completely as already noted in the
>
> The dovecot2 port will be removed, I hope ;-)

That would be the plan, after a suitable period of time has elapsed to allow users of dovecot2 to transition automatically to the new dovecot port. (I don't know why that automatic transition did not work smoothly for you.) We usually recommend that this period of time is no shorter than one year, since not everyone updates their ports in a timely manner.

> This is what it has
>
> name                dovecot2
> replaced_by         dovecot
> epoch               20060722
> # This is actually the old dovecot version
> version             1.2.17
>
> And thus it is reported as ‘port dovecot2 with version 1.2.17’
>
> albus:dovecot2 sysbh$ port list dovecot2
> dovecot2                       @1.2.17         mail/dovecot2
> dovecot2                       @1.2.17         mail/dovecot2
>
> Which is also confusing as it seems to say that port dovecot2 will install dovecot 1.2.17

I agree that is confusing. I don't know why the version of the dovecot2 port was not set to the current version of the dovecot port. That would be less confusing. That could still be changed.