Local ports repository for non-standard prefix

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 14 18:45:46 UTC 2020

On Jan 14, 2020, at 03:52, Raphael Cohn wrote:

> I'm trying to get macports to use a local (file://) repository for a macports installed in a non-standard prefix (in this case, a project local macports, ie per user, per project) with a mixture of private and public port files. I want to be able to build from source the first time, then use a previously built archive for any subsequent operations. For example. uninstalling and reinstalling a bunch of ports as the project evolves.
>
> Ideally, I thought I could just create an entry in archive_sites.conf that pointed to <prefix>/var/macports/software, but that doesn't work; adding use of incoming/verified to point to a package in software (symlink) doesn't work; signing with my own key doesn't work. I must be missing something.
>
> Is this even possible?

I don't think I understand what you're trying to do.

<prefix>/var/macports/software is where MacPorts puts compressed archives of the ports you've installed. If you uninstall a port, its corresponding archive in that directory will be deleted.

So it doesn't make sense to list that location in archive_sites.conf, since there would never be an occasion when you need to install a port and there would be an archive already there. The archive would only be there if the port is already installed.