several ports that now use meson to build won't build +universal any longer -- muniversal portgroup fixes them

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 11 07:47:36 UTC 2020

On Mar 4, 2020, at 14:46, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> just a heads-up -- the meson build system does not handle building +universal very well, as we know. So far I've had to add the muniversal PortGroup to
>
> at-spi2-atk and gdk-pixbuf2
>
> to allow them to build universal, and I would not be surprised if that list continues to grow.
>
> A general fix in meson might be unlikely, due to the way it builds things.
>
> This is on 10.6.8, but I suspect that is not relevant to this at present.

If meson is unable to build universal the "normal" all-at-once way, and requires separate builds for each arch and combining using "lipo" as the "muniversal" portgroup does, then it seems preposterous to ask the maintainer of each meson-using port to do that manually. Just make the meson portgroup do it automatically.

We've already talked about this here:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/5986