macports-users Digest, Vol 163, Issue 12

Pieter van Oostrum pieter-l at vanoostrum.org
Tue Mar 17 16:17:37 UTC 2020

Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> writes:

> I did that: used mode 755 for directories, mode 644 for files there.
>
> Still, same error Unable to execute port: Could not open file: /Users/murray/macports/myports/kde/
> okular/Portfile
>
> Did you get this to work with your own version of a port already included in MacPorts?

Yes, I do this regularly. Never had a problem.
My working mode is: I have a clone of the git repository, but for the ports I am working on, I make a copy of the Portfile and other relevant files in a shadow directory, but only for those ports.

But 'could not open file' sounds like a protection issue.
What happens when you execute the shell command?

sudo cat /Users/murray/macports/myports/kde/okular/Portfile

By the way, another way is to go to the directory
/Users/murray/macports/myports/kde/okular

and execute the command 'sudo port install' (i.e. without port name). It should install the port in that directory.
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/